Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Tough Call

One of the most important decisions a Superintendent has to make is to call off school on a snowy day. This morning as we woke up to very little snow knowing we weren't going to school. Parents were looking at the weather and said the school should have been in session. As I sit know looking at 7 inches of snow and what would have been dismissal time, it would have been tough to get kids home in this weather.
There are a lot of reasons why I don't want to be a Superintendent but his is one aspect of the job that appeal even less than others. I don't envy Superintendents at 4:00 in the morning having to make an educated guess about the weather, New England weather. I don't look forward to my third shoveling stint, but there is no guesswork to that!

1 comment:

  1. It is a tough call that I wouldn't want to make either. The anticipation of a snow day leads to a nice teachable moment with a lesson in weather. Weather maps, the high and low pressure areas and the temperature ranges all provide clues, but I still rely on that phone call!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog